This Sunday’s episode of CSI:Miami (if you’re into that) will feature a plotline (murder) that takes place at a derby bout (why you might actually watch).
Here’s the synopsis: ”When the CSIs investigate a murder at a roller derby match, the only thing shorter than the girls’ skirts are their tempers.”
Starring all kinds of LA Derby Dolls!!
Considering we met in high school in Texas, it’s always a possibility she’ll be back in the Lone Star State at some point. I’ll make sure to let her know. Also, I hope the same offer goes for me, because I love any excuse to go back to Austin. (Fangirl waving at Smarty Pants!)
Maybe I can use this tumbr for roller derby updates. (That means three uses! Cats, sunsets and derby!)
Anyway, the following has happened in my derby life.
1. Inspired by (tricked into) helping my friend who lives in Iowa get a trip to the banked track, I ended up back on my skates.
2. Seeing so many friends and sweating that hard and not feeling like my leg was going to detach below my left knee gave me a boost of confidence.
3. So I mostly-secretly tried out for Fresh Meat, because I’ve been gone nine months and have to start all over.
4. I got in. (They say 80 were due to show up to try out, something like 60 showed up and they gave the yes to something like thirteen?)
5. My first practice back as a freshy starts tonight. I’ve got <I>paperwork</I>. I’m not even track cleared! It’s like May of 2008 all over again!
6. (Which makes me miss my original derby wife and all the FM-friends who’ve retired their skates along the way).
7. But makes me wonder how I’ll do tonight in my first two-hour practice since I got hurt in the bout (March, 2010).
8. Here I go.
Signed up for Fresh Meat tryouts on Sunday. Derby Por Vida was too easy and Roller Derby — I can’t quit you. Headed back into the madness.